Friday 13 December 2013

Tablet Sketches

Here are a few sketches that I made on the Nexus 7 tablet with Sketchbook Pro. I used a Bamboo stylus, which I found to be a great sketching tool as the weight and body of the pen is really nice.

This was a sketch based on the monkey king in Chinese mythology. I really like the character and it has also been a favourite with other artists. Everyone has their own unique take on the character and I thought I would give it a shot as well. 

I decided to go with the punk monkey and made him badass with tattoos and a long insane tongue. I'm really happy with the end result and took it into Photoshop on my laptop and gave it a quick paint job. I was simply experimenting with color and shapes along with some photo collage. 

The photo I used was of a giant neon sign of the Glico man in Dotonbori, Japan. I loved the bright neon lights contrasted with the dark background of the building and found it suitable for the character. It also gave me a good starting point from which I could pull color and shapes.




This one was for the Global Portrait Day that happened a couple of months ago. I didn't have a computer handy on the day so I decided to do mine on the tablet. I chose an expression that would best describe me - odd. Intially I was thinking of working in a cool palette and sticking to that as I had limited time to get this one done. However, I felt in the end that I needed some POP! I decided to go with the good old orange on blue approach and kept it only to one eye so it creates a little asymmetry. I'm not too happy with the end result but I did learn while making it. Also, it got me to familiarize myself a little bit more with the Sketchbook Pro interface.



Frank.

 Friend at dinner on Halloween - haha


A quick sketch of my girlfriend Cheryl Loh, who is an awesome designer and illustrator - www.cherylloh.com. The setting is a Starbucks in Osaka, Japan. I think this was one of the few sketches I actually did in Japan. I was very optimistic about sketching on the tablet in Japan but the convenience of a paper sketchbook just seemed to out weigh the tablet.


Scury beat-man lingering in the dark forest. A quick little mood sketch.


No comments:

Post a Comment